Friday 24 August 2007

This One is for You, Mum

I have not done a design sheet for the ‘Mother’ butterfly; I have a clear picture of how it looks in my head. I hope it turns out the way I picture it. From the outset, I had planned to base her upon the mother crane in ‘The Family’ (phase 15) so the colour scheme was set to be pink. This is not a colour that I associate with my mum; her favourite colour is definitely blue – cornflower blue.

When I was transferring the design onto the silk, I felt strangely moved by this butterfly (maybe that was purely my emotion, knowing that this butterfly would represent my mum). Although the image is a butterfly, I see it as an angel and yet I don’t perceive my mum as an angel.

Excluding a few minor rows during my teenage years, I have never fallen out with my mum. She is the one person who never lets me down, never judges me, and never disappoints me. She may have faults, but they are not my concern. She has always been, and always will be, 100 per cent on my side and there is nobody else in this world that feels that way about me.

I know that not everyone has this kind of relationship with their Mother and I appreciate it all the more for this reason. Even within a close family, my mum and I know that the bond we share is something special, something to be treasured and not taken for granted.

Mum, I am blessed to have you in my life and I truly love you.

No comments: