Thursday 10 January 2008

January TIF - Stitching 1

Wow, it is amazing to see the stitched sampler coming out exactly like my (modified) chart. I guess it’s not so surprising with such a simple design, but I hadn’t expected them to be so alike.

I found working out the starting point a little taxing, in fact my first attempt was one thread out so I had to restart, but once I got going I really enjoyed the simple rhythm of two over and two under running stitches.

One thing that is fascinating me is how much the second colour affects the first. The deep purple (333) stitches (vertical) looked violet on their own, but when the deep green (520) stitches (horizontal) were added the colours appear to blend to form a different colour. I plan to explore this a bit more when I add to the design. I wonder how this would have looked if I had used the paler green to give more contrast?


I planned to do the outer areas in the paler shades but when I started stitching with the lavender (211) they were barely visible, so I removed them and will continue with the darker shades for this part of the design. These are exactly the same stitches with the same spacing but arranged in a different pattern; I am interested to see how that affects the appearance of the colours.


I will be using the other shades but in a more densely stitched pattern so that the colour is not lost. All stitching (so far) is done in a single strand of DMC stranded floss.

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

This looks like an interesting design. Once you get the hang of the pattern I assume it goes together pretty smoothly. Nice!

KV said...

Ah, such patience you have . . .


Kathy V in NM

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.