Thursday 31 July 2008

Karahana, the last petal

When I am nearing the end of a good book I feel compelled to finish the book as quickly as possible. Not by reading faster (like most things I do, I read slowly and don’t know how to read faster) but by spending every spare minute nose in book. It is the same when I am nearing the end of a stitching project; I want to spend every spare minute stitching. The paradox is that when I complete the project or finish the book, I know that I will feel sad that it is over.

My feeling is that when all the petals on Karahana are couched, the remaining elements will stitch relatively quickly, so I think I am nearing completion. Even if that proves not to be the case, stitching the petals was such a time consuming exercise that it was like a mini project; the desire to finish the petals was compelling enough on its own. Throughout the week I have snatched an hour here and half an hour there, even getting up at six o’clock this morning just to finish it (that’s early for me). I actually woke up at four o’clock and was very tempted to get up then, knowing how frequently I underestimate the time needed to do anything, but the poor light convinced me that I should stay in bed!

On this occasion the two hours I thought it would take proved sufficient time to finish the petal without rushing.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

This is the smallest petal and it has no turnover like the other petals so it took considerably less time to complete, even so it took me four and a half hours to stitch petal number six. I wish I had kept a record of how long each of the other petals took.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

At 8.00am it was still heavily overcast and beginning to rain but even in such low light levels the gold gleams. It truly is beautiful substance both to look at and to work with.

Now I have all the satisfaction of having completed the mini project and still have the excited anticipation of stitching the remaining elements using different techniques. A bit like finishing a good book but already having the sequel to begin reading straight away.

Happy Stitching, indeed.

9 comments:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

That is amazingly beautiful. Just love it.

Pierrette =^..^=

Susan Elliott said...

Congratulations to you! I think you'll find that you fly through the rest of it...beautiful work!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is unbelievable - beautiful. I can only admire, but never attempt it. I do know the feeling of wanting to finish the book or the needlework when it nears the end - but sometimes I don't want it to end, for the sheer pleasure of the story or the stitching.

KV said...

Such stunning beautiful work, Carol! Re book reading, I am a fast reader but when I get to the last 15 or 20 pages of a book I have really enjoyed, I usually delay finishing -- sort of have to savor the ending when it comes.


Kathy V in NM

Lisa Dunn said...

That is so beautiful! Congratulations on finishing your "mini-project." :o) I am looking forward to seeing the whole piece when it is done.

Carmen said...

beautifl! i love it!

Elizabeth Braun said...

You've done a super job, CA!

That finishing the book idea, is that the same one that sometimes keeps me up reading until the small hours???=)

Anonymous said...

Exquisite!!! Can't wait to see it completed.Finish the book,finish the book...please,please.
Love,
Deepa

Jane said...

Looking good, think you'll have it done for Manchester??