Thursday 17 June 2010

The Stomach

I had an hour free before work one morning and I didn’t want to waste a minute of it. I took a quick look at my box chart to find the colour and got on with laying the foundation for the stomach. I took a lot of care to ensure that my stitches were parallel and even and was very pleased with how it was progressing. When I had completed about 2 thirds, I began to think that Mr Duck did not look very comfortable on the water. I really wanted to press on but thought that I would check the box chart first. Horizontal foundation! I’d been stitching a weft foundation. In this case there is not much difference between the horizontal and the weft so I was tempted to leave it but after a few minutes procrastination, I accepted that I had to do some reverse stitching. Out it came. Out of time, it was a few days before I could restitch the foundation but when I did Mr Duck looked more at home.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

The short stitch holding on his stomach follows a curve so the temporary holding stitches are curved.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

This is the largest area of short stitch holding on the design and I really enjoyed doing it. The thread is a 1->2 katahineri of 345 (the same shade as the foundation) and white. The katahineri gives an irregular twist so the effect is slightly random.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

When I removed the temporary holding stitches there were very pronounced lines marking the rows of short stitch holding. It is these obvious lines that some people dislike about SSH, I have eveen heard SSH as a good foundation ruined! On Mr Duck the curved lines are intended to make him look nice and plump.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I don’t think that my lines are sufficiently curved. I think that I may redo his stomach but I’m going to stand my frame where I can see it for a couple of days and ponder on it.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy stitching

4 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

He is looking really great CA -- and masterfully stitched I might add. I think it's smart to let it sit...keep stitching. If, at the end, you don't like it...you can always take it out then.

I'm sending your box today. And I'm getting a confirmation number this time!

Rachel said...

He's becoming a really magnificent creature - I love the vibrant colouring.

Anonymous said...

He's looking amazing were are the cords :-)) Sue XX

Anonymous said...

Hi CA - he is looking lovely. If the vertical lines created by the right hand end of the stitches is still annoying you, then you could try using your tekobari to lift the underlying gold stitches slightly as I found that helps the end of the overlying stitch to sink in and blend. Still it really looks beautiful and shows how neat your SSH is - fabulous!
Elizabeth C