Tuesday 30 November 2010

A Very Special Thread

My friend Jane has a special thread; a beautiful silver thread.


If I remember correctly, Jane purchased this thread in 1990/01 at an introductory course on Japanese embroidery. I don’t know if it would have been considered special at the time or if it was the standard silver thread available then. The silver thread available now is subtly different. Jane’s thread has a soft, warm sheen when compared to its modern counterpart but somehow it appears brighter.


Rather fittingly, Jane used this silver on Seeds of Nuido. The piece was designed for the late Mary-Dick Digges who Jane met at the introductory class where she purchased the thread. I believe that she also used it to stitch the silver elements on her Phase X, Kusadama.

Jane very graciously supplied me with a length of the precious silver thread to stitch the water on Loving Couple. I shall be eternally grateful to her and every time I look at Loving Couple, I shall think of her and the special thread that is friendship.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

5 comments:

Angela said...

That thread looks wonderful on your piece. I've been reading your posts on this project with admiration I don't know if I'll ever have the skill to do something so intricate.

Susan Elliott said...

It so nice to have friends who give us water when we need it. Lucky you. Lucky Jane.

MeganH said...

Lovely!

Jane said...

Thank you, the thread looks lovely. I agree with Susan, I am very lucky to have found such wonderful friends through my embroidery. Love jane

Anonymous said...

Wow looks amazing thanks for sharing it. I also agree with Susan and Jane Sue N