Sunday 19 February 2012

Back to Camellias

As soon as I finished Floral Melody, I felt the first pangs of post project blues coming on. I had anticipated this and put Camellias onto the stand to get on with before PPB could take hold. Camellias is one of the projects am aiming to finish but there is more work outstanding than for most of the other projects on the list. Last time I worked on Camellias was in October when I completed the two-tone flower on the right.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Flush with success following Trish Burr’s Chinese Flower on-line class, I approached Camellias with unprecedented confidence ... which dissolved the moment I contemplated tackling LSS on partially stitched white flower on the left.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

I am not going to dwell on why I freeze every time I come to do LSS in Japanese embroidery. It is something that I have to overcome. Rather than sit starring desolately at my piece, I decided to start working on some of the leaves.

There are 18 leaves on Camellias, 15 of which are worked in flat silk. There are many things to concentrate on when stitching a flat silk foundation; keeping the stitches evenly spaced and parallel to each other, creating a nicely shaped edge, maintaining a one point open space between motifs and keeping the silk flat and smooth. It had been a couple of months since I had even touched silk and I felt very rusty. At first I focussed hard on keeping the stitches parallel and making the silk as smooth and shiny as I could but the edges of the leaves were not as smooth as they could be.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Then I paid closer attention to the outline but my one point open space was more like a gaping chasm.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Gradually everything that I have learnt came back to me and my anxiety, as well as my stitching, settled down

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

7 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Now that is precision stitching! I can't even imagine doing this. Please show a full photo sometime soon.

Elizabeth Braun said...

Very lovely, as always.:)

What's PPB? Post-project boredom??

Anonymous said...

Hello Carol,
We are on the Hari Kuyo blog together although I do not have a blog myself. Anyway, seeing the term "post project blues" struck a note...I often feel that way and didn't know it had a name so thanks for that. Your work is LOVELY and your long and short looks perfect from this side of the pond.
Suzanne Bruno

Susan Elliott said...

I found myself relaxing too as I worked my way through your post :o)

You approached your anxiety in a very Japanese way my friend. Just dig in and get busy and the work works itself out. Your stitching is beautiful, as always...

Rachel said...

It looks very crisp and precise to me, although as I've not done Japanese embroidery, I can't be sure what you are seeing. Remember that that will be true of almost everyone who looks at your work...

MeganH said...

yummy!

Anonymous said...

Hello Carole,
Your Japanese is really beautiful embroidery. The points are really smooth and very well done. You are at what level?? Have you ever done the 10 stages ...
I am a French and I almost finished Stage 1. I start then a stage in June.
See you soon
Laurence
(google translate)