Thursday 27 September 2012

Guilloche Stitch

Guilloche stitch is a completely new one for me. I have not heard of it let alone done it. It consists of three rows of thread woven around foundation stitches. I did practice the stitch on my doodle cloth but found it fairly straightforward and easy to learn.

The foundation is very simple to do, the only slight difficulty is counting the correct number of threads for the long foundation stitches. The weaving is also relatively simple but, as with the spider web stitches, the art is getting the stitches to lay neatly side by side. I only realised what I needed to do to assist this as I was weaving the last row hence the first two rows are not a neat as I would like. Again, a may redo this spot at a later date.

Guilloche Stitch
© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

Guilloche stitch in #345 silver is used for the veins of the leaves on the large rose. The foundation was easy to lay here with a predetermined length for the long foundation stitches but it was very difficult to weave under the foundation stitches without catching the silk Queen stitches on either side.

Guilloche Stitch
© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

Guilloche Stitch
© Thistle Threads/Carol-Anne Conway

With only one row of weaving completed, I decided not to attempt weaving the second and third row. I thought that would be better for the surrounding silk and my nerves. Besides, I think it looks pretty as it is.

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

It certainly looks difficult to me, but I like it! It's like stitching a braid down on your fabric, without having to turn the ends under. I think it has some definite possibilities.

Elizabeth Braun said...

It looks great - esp in metallic threads.=)

Rachel said...

I think I used only one interlacing row with the silver on the leaves as well - as you say, better for both silk and nerves!