Sunday 20 January 2013

Heavy, not Feathery

I’ve settled back into a routine of stitching each morning before I go to work and am fitting in between 15 minutes and an hour each day, as a result I am making steady progress with Pouchette. This complete paisley on the left hand side was one of the motifs I worked on while in Atlanta. At the time I was not certain about how to work the feathery parts surrounding it. In the end it was the persistent thought that they were 'feathery' that guided me.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

As I was working on the partial motifs on the right hand side, I experimented on those before returning to the original motif. First I beaded the 'feathers' on the underside of the top motif. I still need to complete the details around the curl.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Then I worked the 'feathers' along the top edge of the motif in the bottom right-hand corner. These did not work out the way I had imagined them. They are heavy and solid rather than feathery and light.

© JEC/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

6 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Just amazing! I don't know how you do it. I love beads, but am lucky to make a small flower or incorporate them into a smocked piece. Your work is beautiful. But I can't see "light and feathery" with beads, but maybe if done in tiny beads contrasting with large ones?

shirley said...

Your beading work is just extraordinary. Your lines of beads are so even and neat...methinks I am looking at an expert's work

Cath said...

I think you've got it right with the inside curve and the adjacent motif. Just a thought - maybe the lines on the outside need to curve, so they flow a little more.

Unknown said...

Sono rimasta abbagliata dai tuoi lavori!!!!
Se ne hai voglia passa a trovarmi ( anche se non posso certo competere con te, continuerò a seguirti con molto piacere A presto Valeria

Angela said...

I'm in awe of your bead work. I love that you are managing to find a little bit of time to work on this each way, I need to try and do this to get me back in the stitchey habit again.

Rachel said...

I think maybe Cath is onto something, with the suggest that the lines need to curve more, but I'm really not at all sure how easy that would be to achieve.

Another possibility - maybe vary the tones of the colours more?