Thursday 7 March 2013

The Bird's Breast Reworked

I did take out the breast and rework it. I used fewer and paler shades than in the first attempt but still only used white very sparingly. I also altered the angle of the stitches. In the first attempt I followed the line of the bird’s body; this time I looked closely at my source picture and aligned my stitches with the direction of his feathers. I am happier with the breast now.

© Carol-Anne Conway

My original plan was to stitch the bird before the tree but I realised that needed to at least stitch the trunk around his tail and foot before I could continue with the bird. The bark has peeled away from the trunk here to reveal the smoother, paler wood beneath it.

© Carol-Anne Conway

© Carol-Anne Conway
© Carol-Anne Conway

I found it easier to stitch this under artificial light as I did not feel I needed to do a faithful reproduction of the photograph but rather give an impression of the wood. This was quite relaxing to do, just selecting thread at random and working irregular shaped areas, blending where they met. Over the course of a few evenings I filled completed most of the exposed wood. I want to go back and add some details but I will probably do that when the bulk of the stitching is complete.


© Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It's looking good. Isn't it interesting to see how there are some elements that demand good natural light, and others that seem not to!

Velva said...

This is cool!