Monday 8 April 2013

Tree Creepers - Finished

It was very important for me to complete this project and submit it for the Oxford Branch of the Embroiderers’ Guild Members’ exhibition. The theme of the show is “Five Minutes from Home”. The idea was to look for inspiration close to home. I did not even have to leave the house! A few years ago a large willow tree in the neighbouring school grounds was severely pollarded, it never recovered from the shock and died. The remaining trunk has slowly decayed but Mother Nature has been quick to reclaim the old tree as her own. Very soon the ivy began its invasion and I have watched it creep ever upwards. One of the many birds that visit the trunk every day is the tree creeper searching for insects within the fissures of the rotting wood. These two 'Tree Creepers' are the subject of my embroidery.


© Carol-Anne Conway

I am very pleased to have completed the embroidery but it is not as I had originally intended. Given time I would have thread painted all of the ivy leaves but I ran out of time and in the end had to be content with outlining some of the leaves. Although I like the finished design with the outlined leaves I feel discontented with it because it is not how I envisaged it. Yet I am contented that I found a way to 'finish' the design and submit it for the exhibition.


© Carol-Anne Conway

"Five Minutes from Home" is on display at the Vale & Downland Museum, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8BL from 9 April - 4 May 2013, 10-4 Monday to Saturday. Admission is free.


© Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

13 comments:

Hillside Threads said...

Absolutely stunning and I think the leaves are just perfect as they are, they lighten it. Wish I could see it in person.

Arlene White said...

Lovely work, yes would love to see in real life. I too believe those leaves look great as a silhouette. Arlene
http://arlenes-crafts.blogspot.com.au/

Sue said...

Beautiful, will have to see if my friends have any free rooms for a weekend visit to see the exhibition :-) look forward to seeing it for real X

Cath said...

A beautiful piece of work. You should be very pleased and the back is so neat.

Rachel said...

It's turned out beautifully, and I agree with the other commenters that the open leaves lighten the effect. Just as beautiful, but different!

Heather M. said...

Lovely. I've enjoyed watching you work through the process.

Heather M.

Moonsilk Stitches said...

This is just lovely and I've enjoyed watching your decision making process. I know how hard it is to give up your original vision, but I think your solution is creative and does lighten the design.

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying watching your bird develop and seeing some of your technique. Looks wonderful!

Wendy said...

it's beautiful, I think you did an amazing job

H Gotts said...

Lovely! I particularly like the bird and the tree trunk! Wish I could see it for real. Very impressed with the back. Thanks for sharing

Susan Elliott said...

How wonderful! I love the title and the two creepers. Your needle painting is SO well done, my dear. And love the texture on your tree too. Wish I could see it in the flesh but alas...P.S. I'm working my way through Gracie.........

Sue said...

Just been to have a cuppa with a friend and saw tree creepers in its new home looks amazing :-)

LUNA said...

Amazing embroidery, I'm very impressed.