Friday 21 June 2013

Flower Circle – Hitta-gake

The first time I used hitta-gake (tie die effect) was on Suehiro. I used white silk to stitch the best foundation I had done so far and when I realised what I would do to that foundation I nearly cried. As it turned out, I enjoyed stitching hitta-gake and was reasonable pleased with my first attempt.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

I next used hitta-gake on the Shibori Samurai on Flutterbies. That time I was not so pleased with my foundation layer but I felt that the hitta-gake was executed better. On both of these designs the hitta-gake has a white foundation on a white ground fabric. I have always thought that it might be more effective on a dark background.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

Hitta-gake features a lot in Kusano-san’s designs. Sometimes she uses the stitched version and sometimes she appliqués kanoko shibori fabric onto her ground fabric. I decided to fill the two outline flowers with hitta-gake as homage to Flower Circle’s designer.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

I began with a flat white silk foundation using 2 strands to ensure good coverage of the ground fabric.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

For the hitta-gake I choose a silk that matched the ground fabric as closely as possible. I wanted the finished effect to give the impression that kanoko shibori had been died into the fabric.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

The JEC use two stitches in the centre of each lattice to represent the dot that is characteristic of kanoko. Kusano-san does this in a few different ways but she very often uses a sagara-nui (Japanese round knot) for the dot and I choose to do mine that way. I am still a bit hit and miss with sagara-nui but I think I am getting better and this gave me a fair amount of practice at them.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

4 comments:

madziula said...

wow! how wonderful!

Jane said...

Beautiful

Rachel said...

It looks beautifully balanced, and I'm really not sure how you could better the execution!

alsokaizen said...

I've never seen this before, I love it!