Tuesday 16 July 2013

Flower Circle – Matsui-nui and Midare-sashinui

Four of the flowers have five overlapping petals with a small circular centre and long stamens. I did not want to do all four flowers in exactly the same way but I wanted to maintain the balance of the design so I wanted to stay true to their original appearance. I based two of the flowers on another of the embroideries I had seen in the Kurenai-Kai exhibition in Osaka. This one was featured on the postcard of the exhibition so I had a small picture to refer to.

I first outlined each of the petals with Matsui-nui (staggered diagonals).

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

I then partially filled each petal with Midare-sashinui (random realistic effect).

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

I used two shades of pink starting with a two rows of very pale pink.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

I then used a slightly darker shade of pink towards the centre of the flower to give texture but faded out the stitches as I thought fully filled flowers would be too dominant for background motifs.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

To give some continuity with the sugabiki flowers I stitched the centre and the stamens in twisted gold. The centre has two layers of silk padding.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

Finally I added the pollen. I chose a colour that I though contrasted well with the purple background and made a soft 4 into 1 s-twist.

© Shizuka Kusano/Carol-Anne Conway

Happy Stitching

3 comments:

Wendy said...

just beautiful

Cath said...

Hi Carol-Anne, it was good to meet you at the exhibition in Ferndown and see this piece in real-life. Love this flower :-)

Rachel said...

It does look lovely - as you say, it can be tricky to balance the right amount of colour and detail with a motif's role in the design, but this seems a good balance of stitch and space.